Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Real Talk Turn 4- Daytona 500

Ok we're bringing it back. The weekly blog that takes ESPN's Turn 4 questions and answers them with no insider knowledge, no political correctness and no holding back.

Turn 1: Dale Earnhardt Jr. ended a long winless streak at Daytona. Who will be the next driver to break a drought that goes back a season or more to get a Cup win?

The two obvious choices here are Kurt Busch and Clint Bowyer. I like Clint, I don't like Kurt so my pick is Clint. Besides that, Clint is more comfortable in his ride, while Kurt and his team are still feeling each other out and learning how everyone works together so I think Clint has a better chance of getting a win early on this season.

Disclaimer: I'm taking Marcos Ambrose to end his if nobody else's winless streak has ended by Watkins Glen. Going out on a limb, I know.

Turn 2: Rate the racing at Sunday's Daytona 500 on a scale of one to 10 and tell us why you gave it that grade.

Well let's see, I was at the race, after the rain delay sitting in the best seats in the house, and Dale Jr. won so I think I'd have to rate it about an 88. Taking that bias out of it I'd give it a 9.9. There were wrecks, passing and plenty of excitement. I'm taking the .1 off because at the beginning of the race the cars were racing in 1 line instead of 2, but by midway after the rain delay we got back to 2 lines of racing so it wasn't a big deal at all. Overall, great day. I know Daytona and super speedways aren't a good indicator of other tracks but if this is what racing is like all season it's going to be a great season (including the part where Dale Jr. wins).

Turn 3: We know who had the best Daytona 500, but who had the worst? Tell us why.

I'm going to take out drivers who wrecked when answering this question because there were plenty of top tier drivers who got knocked out of the race and that sucks. My man Kyle Larson had a pretty rough day. There were many times throughout the race where he made me forget that Juan Pablo is no longer in the 42. I'm sure there were plenty of butterflies racing in the 500 after being brought up to NSCS, but after finishing in the top 10 in Nationwide and in his Bud Duel race, man this was a rough day with plenty of mistakes for him. 

Turn 4: It's off to Phoenix this week, where the season 'really' starts, as they say. Who is your pick to win?

There's no way I'm picking against Dale after he won last week and told us that his focus for this weekend won't be affected by the winning celebrations. He also has a good average finish as the 8th best driver at Phoenix since the 2012 season.

 So we're picking for 2nd here. I hate myself for doing this, but I'm picking bitch boy Denny Hamlin with shitty JGR. I'm not counting his race last November because he was DILLIGAF (does it look like I give a fuck) after he came back from injury. The three races before that?...came in 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. God I hate myself for picking Denny.

-The 'E'

No comments:

Post a Comment