Thursday, February 25, 2016

Real Talk Turn 4

Welcome back to everyone's (probably no one's) favorite weekly blog! You get to hear our take on ESPN's burning NASCAR questions of the week. No filter, no inside knowledge and no intelligence whatsoever

Turn 1: What's your take on NASCAR's driver behavior policy announced last week?
Hate it more than walking into a store and seeing a Kyle Busch cardboard cutout. I like my NBA with Jeff Van Gundy wrapped around Alonzo Mourning's leg. I like my MLB with Pedro Martinez throwing Don Zimmer to the ground. I like my football with Randy Moss pretending to moon the crowd. And I like my NASCAR with Cale Yarborough fighting the Allisons on the back stretch of Daytona. Now obviously you need to put a limit on this. Drivers shouldn't be wrecking each other for revenge at 200 miles an hour or determining who wins the Chase because of a past feud, but I hate the direction all sports leagues have gone in the past couple of decades. Athletes fighting, showing raw emotion and criticizing parts of the sport that they don't agree with all makes it more real and much more entertaining.

Turn 2: What's your biggest takeaway/surprise from Daytona Speedweeks?
Damn these Toyotas are good. Aside from Truex, I don't like any of them. This could make for a long season if they keep the momentum up from last year and this first week of racing. Also, what an awesome finish to the Daytona 500! Even if you don't root for the guy who won, you have to appreciate such a close finish
Turn 3: The highest-finishing Roush driver in Daytona was Ricky Stenhouse Jr. in 22nd. Will the team's well-documented struggles continue in 2016?
Rousch Fenway racing is dead at this point. They don't have a single driver who I would say has a good chance at making the Chase this year. Over the past few years Penske has replaced them as the go-to team for Ford. It's pretty incredible how quickly that team has fallen apart from the Edwards, Kenseth, Biffle powerhouse from the first couple years of this decade
Turn 4: The Toyotas were the class of the field at Daytona. Will they keep it up this week in Atlanta?
Unfortunately, I can't find a reason why they wouldn't. Gibbs has historically been solid at Atlanta and Toyota is on a huge tear from the second half of last year through the beginning of this year. Deep down in places I don't like to talk about at parties, I am absolutely terrified of this season being dominated by Toyota, more specifically JGR. 
There are some bright spots of hope though for Atlanta. HMS drivers have won the past 2 races that have been there and Dale has finished 3rd, 11th, 8th and 7th in the past 4 races there.
Overall, I am psyched that NASCAR is back and am super excited to crack some beers with y'all this Sunday

1 comment: