Sunday, February 28, 2016

DraftKings Fantasy NASCAR: QuikTrip Folds of Honor 500 (Atlanta)

Heading into the second week of the NASCAR season we preview DraftKings picks for today's race at Atlanta and pray that maybe this track will change the trend of Toyota dominance that finished off 2015 and picked right back up last week.


Click here for full rules

TOP PICKS

  • The A: Jimmie Johnson - $10,200 - OK, so the Busch brothers are going to be tough to beat. Kurt starts first and should lead laps early. But, to me, JJ is still the cream of the crop at intermediate tracks. He leads the series with 6 wins at intermediate tracks in the last two years. Third in practice for top speed, and third in 10-lap average. Starting 19th, I like JJ here in DK and even to win the race,.
  • The E: Martin Truex Jr. - $9,100 - It looks like the guy is picking up where he left off last year. He's also the only driver in a Toyota I don't hate. MTJ is starting 9th, but had the 2nd fastest car in the happy hour practice. On top of that, Toyotas are killing it right now and he has extra motivation after getting edged out in last week's 500. He should be a pretty safe play and I wouldn't be surprised by a top 3 or 5 finish for him, which will get you good points.

VALUE PICKS

  • Matt DiBenedetto- $5,600 - Matt starts 35th and has been middle of the pack in practice. IT's tough to find sleepers at a place like Atlanta. If we see tire issues and this becomes a war of attrition, Matt could find himself fighting for a top 20 spot late. He's never started at Atlanta but seems to have taken a liking to it.
  • Jamie MacMurray and Ryan Newman - $7,400 and $6,900 - You're getting a little 2 for 1 special here. Neither of these guys are super cheap, but they're both mid tier pricing that could return big points. They both qualified high (2nd and 4th, respectively), which makes them a little riskier, but for under $7,500 they're worth it. Not only did both of these guys qualify high, they backed it up in the happy hour practice, where Jamie was 7th fastest and Newman was 10th. What really stood out to me though, was the fastest 10 lap averages during that practice, where McMurray was 2nd and Newman was 4th. The 10 lap averages could be a good sign if we end up with some long runs during the race today. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Newman because of his lower price and past 2 finishes at Atlanta (7th and 4th)

Lineups

50/50 League
  • The A's Picks
    • Kyle Busch - $10,100
    • Matt DiBenedetto - $5,600
    • Jimmie Johnson - $10,200
    • Brad Keselowski - $9,800
    • Kyle Larson - $8,300
    • David Ragan - $5,900
  • Analysis: Let's get this out of the way. You have to pick Kyle in DK this week. I hate it, You hate it, but he heads up any team, Brad K has the fourth highest average finish in the last two seasons at intermediate tracks, Three wins for him in that same time frame and a low starting spot. Kyle Larson just looks good. This always burns me, but I just have a feeling. I'm sure I'm not alone but if the cautions don't come, he will be tough. Matt D is my sleeper as mentioned above. JJ could fly under the radar, but should be a rock solid guy this weekend. And I close it out with David Ragan. Don't expect much but a score in double digits. Stay out of trouble and help get my team into the money. 
Tournament League
  • The E's Picks 
    • Jimmie Johnson - $10,200
    • Martin Truex Jr. - $9,100
    • Kurt Busch - $9,200
    • Dale Earnhardt Jr - $8,800
    • Ryan Newman - $6,900
    • Matt DiBenedetto - $5,600
  • Analysis: Is picking only 1 Toyota when Toyota has been on fire a bad idea? Probably. But Hendrick has been very good here and Newman and Busch have both looked great the past few days. Plus I still haven't quite accepted the fact that we may have to watch Toyota dominate this entire season (brb have to throw up). I think the first 5 guys here all have good potential to finish in the top 10 and I think Kurt, Truex and JJ all give you a shot at picking the winner. Hopefully Kurt gets out front and leads alot of laps early to rack up the points

Last time out:

Daytona 500
Entered: $15
Win: $0
Net: -$15

HOW IT HAPPENED:
A loose wheel put me behind the eight-ball, and a lose race car did me in. It's hard to overcome a -33 point place differential, It's especially hard to overcome having two out of the eight cars that finished off the lead lap. I had two guys on both teams, and they combined for -7.75 points. Because of course they did.

It wasn't all bad though, even though those guys sunk my ship. I hit the deal of the day with Michael McDowell and his 5% ownership, $5,600 cost, and 58 points. He was the perfect play on a tournament team. Ryan Newman, Martin Trues, and Paul Menard came through as safe bets based off their starting spot. I even hit the winner on one of my two teams in Denny. All for nothing, and we head to Atlanta further in the hole.

Season to Date: -$25

No comments:

Post a Comment