Monday, January 27, 2014

Handicapping the Daytona 500 National Anthem Performer


Well, shockingly I still can't stop thinking about the Daytona 500. We already know Luke Bryan is headling the pre-race concert, but that doesn't tell us who will honor America with our National Anthem. I've done us all a favor and handicapped the favorites, and included some long shots I would love to see. Let's break this down in categories.


The Underdogs
  • Jake Owen
  • Brantley Gilbert
  • Old Crow Medicine Show
Three very different acts, three big underdogs. Jake Owen and Brantley Gilbert aren't QUITE there, although Jake Owen wouldn't shock me. OCMS is a sentimental favorite, I think they could give a sick rendition of our anthem. Definitely would pay to see that.

The Pipe Dreams
  • Taylor Swift
  • Miley Cyrus
  • Nickelback
I am by no means predicting any of these three, but damn would I be pumped if one of them signed up. T Swift for obvious reasons. Sexy. Country. Loves the D. Imagine Miley getting back to her country roots and rocking the same cowboy boots in this video. SEX. Finally, Nickelback. Who the fuck doesnt appreciate a Canadian rocker acknowledging America owns him. That and I imagine he would break into "Photograph" at the end and the crowd would go wild. 




The Favorites
  • Miranda Lambert
  • Carrie Underwood
  • Jana Kramer
I just have a feeling a chick is going to sing this anthem. With Luke doing the concert, it only seems logical. With that said, I hit three of the big shots in female country music. Miranda and Carrie have ties to the sport, and Jana is New Female Vocalist of the year. For the record, my first thoughts were Little Big Town and Lady Antebellum, but both have already done Tona. Then again, so did my pick...

THE PICK: DARIUS RUCKER

Darius has blown up with his rendition of Wagon Wheel and now his new hit, Radio. That's still not why I'm picking him. Last year everyone remembers the disaster that was 50 cent at the Daytona 500. NASCAR really wanted to promote diversity in the sport. What they got was this..
"Damn, I don't see no black people lol," 50 Cent tweeted Sunday after arriving at Daytona International Speedway.
Not exactly great PR. Now this year, let's try it again. Darius Rucker is the man. Legendary voice. He happens to be African American. Seems like a real win-win to me. And yes, I'm willing to overlook the fact that he also sang at Tona back in 2010. Darius is the choice, plain and simple. Now don't mess it up DIS. 



No comments:

Post a Comment